Monday, January 13, 2014

Let's just say that I sleep well each night

Hey everyone!

I have a new companion again.  I have as many companions as I have months in the mission, which is not normal at all.  (I just realized that sentence doesn't make sense in English.)  But I love being able to see all of the differences in missionary "style".  My new companion, Elder Damasco, has a lot of energy.  Like, a lot.  And he likes to walk fast.  Which isn't a bad thing, because we have a lot of work to do.

Elder Damasco is also "dying".  This transfer will be his last in the mission, and his two years are almost up.  But what I love about Elder Damasco is that he might be working harder now than ever before in his mission, instead of slacking off because he "only has a couple weeks left."  I don't even know if he has a girlfriend at home, because we don't talk about it.  Which I love.

This is a photo of my crazy but awesome zone:


Something strange about Chile:  no one here has ever heard of a George Foreman Barbecue.  No no, what the people in the bottom of the world have is half of a steel 50 gallon drum welded to 3/4" tube steel legs.  Beauty in function.  Something else different is there are almost no full-size pickup trucks, because gas is so expensive.  But all of the little Ranger-sized trucks are diesel.  Okay, so those aren't very obvious differences.  But I think I'm used to Chile because I don't notice the big differences anymore, like the stray dogs in every corner, or that people literally bathe their salad in vegetable oil, or that the normal greeting for people of the opposite sex is a kiss on the cheek (missionaries aren't allowed).

We're teaching a ton of people right now, but two of the most special who stand out are two unrelated persons who have a problem with smoking and drinking.  And more powerful than any plan of overcoming an addiction is the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the power of heartfelt prayer, daily scripture study, and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.  Through the simple application of these four things, I have seen powerful changes wrought in the lives and happiness of these two people, one a member of the Church, and the other not.  I testify of the power of the restored Gospel to bring peace and happiness to any person in the world, regardless of their circumstances.

I love you all.  Have an amazing week!

-Elder Thomas Crotzer

No comments: