Monday, October 28, 2013

Hola de Chile!

So much to talk about, and so little time.  I'll just jump right into it.  Apologies for the short sentences and weird phrasing.  I'm starting to lose my English.

Something about Chile that is really weird but not that weird is that no one has light bulb covers here.  All the light bulbs stick out of the wall and ceiling with nothing over them.  Super weird.

The other day Elder Carter and I were talking to people in the street and we talked to a couple.  Then the lady asked us if we spoke English.  We laughed and said we did and then she started to speak English really well.  Which wasn't the only strange thing.  No one here speaks English well, it's all very stuttered and with a heavy accent.  So we were surprised.  But what was funny was that her accent was British, and she had never been to Britain!  So we met a native Chilean that spoke English with a British accent, that had never been in Europe.

Chile is surprisingly modern.  The people here even have the word "hipster".  (It's the same in Spanish and English.)

One night, Elder Carter and I arrived back at the apartment at 9:15pm, which is a no-no because we are never supposed to enter the apartment before 9:30pm.  So we decided to try and visit a less-active member of the church that lived near by, even though it was 9:15pm.  Elder Carter felt a strong impression that we should knock at the door of this one house.  So we did, and a dog came right up to us and started to try to bite Elder Carter.  A man came out of the house and began talking to us.  We found out some stuff about him, and I felt prompted to share a pamphlet about the Gospel of Jesus Christ with him, and how we can be cleansed of our sins through repentance and baptism.  And then, following the prompting of the Holy Ghost, I challenged him to go to Church and get baptized right there, at 9:30pm, in front of his house.  It was a crazy spiritual experience.

I've been hesitant to email photos, because that means I have to connect my camera to the computer, and all the computers here are public computers with tons of viruses.  But what the heck.

The first photo is of me and Morgan Freeman.


This next photo is the view from our apartment.  We live on a hill.


Here is a shot at night.  The black part in this shot is ocean.


Happy Birthday Papa!  Happy Halloween to everyone else!  I hope to hear from you!

-Elder Crotzer

No comments: