Monday, August 4, 2014

Saludos desde Rio Bueno!

Today I am writing from a ciber [cyber cafe] in my new sector, Rio Bueno.  Rio Bueno is a small town about the same size as Los Alamos.  Transfers were this past Wednesday.

Cambios [transfers] were fun in the office.  This transfer, we welcomed 27 new missionaries to Chile Osorno, and said to goodbye to about 25.  There were a ton of gringos that came this time, and it was fun to talk to them about America.

Rio Bueno is fantastic.  My companion is pretty cool too.  His name is Elder Lawton, and he is from Provo, Utah.  We are the same age, and he attended BYU as well for a year, studying physics.  We have more in common than not.

I'm so glad to be out of the office.  There are so many things that I love about Rio Bueno, and I've only been here three days.

The people are so friendly.  The house is massive and clean.  The branch has a 90+ attendance, and therefore most of the organizations are full.  And not just full of fluff, but full of leaders, leaders that take the initiative to make a plan and then carry it out.  And, best of all, the ward mission leader is a complete boss.  He is a returned missionary that never actually came home.  If we don't call to have him accompany us, HE calls US.

There's only one tiny little thing that I'm not ecstatic about:  I only had about a week to try and train Elder Carlisle to head El Rescate before I left the office.  And I had no idea how hard it would be until I actually sat down with Elder Carlisle and tried to explain it to him.  How do you transmit six months of experience and effort in a conversation?  I couldn't give him a checklist of things to do, because there isn't one.  So Rescate will probably fade away.  Of the missionaries that were leaders when it was introduced, many have already finished their missions and gone home.  I guess there's a lesson to be learned in here somewhere.

I think I will be training this next cambio (in six weeks).  I know there are a lot of missionaries coming to the mission (about 25), and I know that the people that train most often are district leaders with about a year and at least six weeks in a sector.  And I know that most of the district leaders in the mission are training right now, and will not finish for a another 12 weeks.  So, as a missionary that lived behind the watchface and observed all of these trends, I'd say there's a 90% chance that I'll train a new missionary next cambio.  But it'll be good, because I have six weeks to prepare for it.

Being a district leader is fun.  The only downside is that there is never any time in the nights at all, between all of the phone calls for numbers.

Have a good week.
-Elder Crotzer

No comments: