So I've been speaking a lot more English now, because I work in the Mission Office. And I've realized just how bad my English is now. All mixed up, mumble-jumbled with Spanish. Oh well, asi es. [That's the way it is.] Shuta, la licera.
The Mission Office is cool. It's fascinating to see all the machinations that go on behind 200 missionaries in the South of Chile. Let's just say there's a lot of work, a lot of planning, and not all of it is glorious.
My companion is dying, or rather, leaving the mission, in 4 days. He's pretty trunky (unfocused, thinking about home) but I can't blame him too much.
An apostle is coming to Chile! All of the missionaries in the Chile Osorno Mission will get to attend a special training with him on next Monday, and I might be playing violin in a special musical number. We'll see!
The other day my companion and I contacted a deaf woman in the street. Afterwards, as I was pondering the encounter, I realized that if you go deaf, your ability to speak probably deteriorates with time. This occurred to me because, even though I don't understand all of Spanish, I know whatever the lady was saying was definitely not Spanish, or English, or really communication at all. The conversation went something like this (translated)
Missionaries: Hola! How are you? How's your day?
Lady: Biiuuugggnnn! (Bien-Good)
Missionaries (now realizing this was probably going to be difficult): We would like to share a message about Jesús Christ with you!
L: UUUGGGGHHHNNN
M: Could we take your address and come visit you and talk more?
L: HHHNNNGGG NNNGG (motioning frantically at ears)
M: Oh! You're deaf! ...shoot. Well, hopefully we'll knock your door and we can talk later! Have a good day!
L: CHAAAUNN (Tchao - Bye)
Always interesting, the mission. I love you guys. Keep me in your prayers!
-Elder Thomas Crotzer
No comments:
Post a Comment