Saturday, July 19, 2014

July Cambio; week 4

We are going to have a baptism later tonight.  Nicolás is so excited to get baptized.  He is a small but brightly burning flame.

Yesterday we took part in a youth conference.  Each of the missionaries in Osorno took a group of 3-4 youth and did contacts in the town square.  I was impressed with how courageous some of the youth are.  As an adolescent, I'm not sure what my reaction would have been if you had asked me to talk to strangers at Ashley Pond with the missionaries.

I had the opportunity to play violin in the youth conference.  It went okay.  It is a little frustrating trying to play a 3/4 size violin.  I miss my violin from home.

The new mission President is settling in.  He likes to talk... a lot.

My companion, Elder Carlisle, is very friendly.  He is possibly the least contentious person I have ever met.  I'm at a loss as to describe how he does it, but I don't believe he's ever been visibly angry or frustrated with anyone.

This morning I was reading in the scriptures, and I read D&C Section 4.  It made me think about the desirable attributes of a missionary, and those of a leader, and the attributes that I value and those I strive after.

5 And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.
6 Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.

Nowhere in this scripture does it mention being able to speak Spanish well, or being well-organized, or being good at planning, or being charismatic, or attractive, or a good public speaker.  None of these attributes are bad; they are just not the ones that qualify someone to be a servant of God.

Have a good week.
-Elder Crotzer

No comments: